18 July 2009

...and then

I was still in shock from the yacht's sticker price as I finished vacuuming. My next chore was putting the freshly laundered sheets back on the beds. (My sisters will be proud of me...vacuuming and laundry all in one day - it's a long-running family "joke" about my housecleaning ability or lack therof.) Anyway, I digress. As I'm tucking in the bottom end of the top sheet, I hear a motor out on the water...and it's coming closer. So I look up...and see...a float plane motoring in.
Now, floatplanes are pretty common in the San Juans. We see many during the day. But they're going into Deer Harbor, or out of a private dock area. This one, well, this one was coming straight at the house.
My first thought, since the guys had taken off for Desolation Sound in the morning, was that there was a problem and one or more had taken the floatplane back. I come from a family who has lived through too many late-night phone that bring bad news...I guess I tend to over-react a bit when something out of the ordinary happens. And certainly a floatplane - now tying up to the mooring ball in front of the house! - was out of the ordinary.
So, I watched...and, well, of course, I took pictures.
The thing is, all he did was wash his windows.
And sit there for about 20 minutes. Then he untied the plane and flew away.
So first a 180-ft yacht goes by, then a floatplane land just outside the house...I was just waiting for what was going to happen next.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails