07 April 2010

A fast trip

A week ago last Sunday, Randy and I flew down to Phoenix on a quick trip to drive an SUV back to the Pacific Northwest for a cousin. They were "wintering" (is that a word?) in Mesa and needed to get home quickly. We volunteered to fly down and drive their car - and new puppy - back for them. Here's the puppy:Her name is Molly. She's a good girl and a great traveler. You'll be hearing more about her later.
While at their home in Mesa, I had Randy picking oranges.
His cousin told us that some neighborhood volunteers would be pick the remaining fruit off the trees the next morning so if I wanted some to bring home, we'd need to pick before they got there. I promptly found Randy a step stool and pointed up. He's such a good guy! The oranges and grapefruit picked throughout the neighborhood were being donated to a local food bank.
Certainly a nice thing to do but I really wanted some of those oranges, too. They could have all the grapefruit ...But I wanted oranges!
We picked as many as we could see that night and Randy was out the next morning filling another bag for me. I can't even describe the taste...so sweet and so juicy. We just don't get oranges that taste like that here. And these were just hanging there, waiting for me!
After I reluctantly said I guessed we had enough, I started shooting some pictures of the yard. While the cactus haven't started blooming yet - that'll happen later this month - it was fun to see all the different types growing in the yard.
This is the kind that grows "arms" but the main cactus needs to be something like 70 years old before the first arm forms. This one, according to Randy's cousin, won't have arms for another 40 years or so. It's just a baby itself. Even though it stands over 5ft high!
And of course, I shot some macros.
Because I love macros.
Hi Guys! Are you enjoying the morning sun with your coffee?There weren't many flowers blooming but I did love these:
The color is so beautiful and warm and tropical. And the flowers are so dainty.
So, of the pictures from Mesa, this is my second favorite shot.
My favorite? I'm surprised you even had to ask!
How could you not love a man who would climb up in a tree in the dark to pick his wife oranges?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails