15 April 2010

Hoover Dam...the road trip continues

We made good time out of Sedona but hit a hard stop as we neared Hoover Dam. Traffic, when it was moving, was at a snail's pace. Looking out my window, I saw a sign to be on the lookout for mountain sheep. The suddenly, there was one staring at me. (I apologize for the focus on this picture. I wasn't ready and had to shoot quickly.)
Here was the first sign that we were getting closer.
And there it was. Do you see all the cars snaking their way through the maize of Hoover Dam? It was a slow process since everyone was taking pictures and looking for a place to pull over.
The high-water line for the reservior is hard to miss.
Ever so slowly we crept toward the main dam.
We're getting closer.
Almost there.
The clock showing the current time in Arizona. And the counterpart for Nevada.Here's the new bridge that's under construction. It's massive and I can't comprehend how in the world they are able to lift the pieces into place. When it's finished, you'll no longer be able to drive over the Hoover Dam.
Here's the main visitor's lodge. We didn't stop. We had a puppy with us... and we had reservations in Vegas, baby! I really wish I'd been looking out my window when we drove past the front of this sculpture. You'll just have to imagine how great the front was. Here's the new bridge again. From this angle, it's easier to see just how large it is. That's one mighty big bridge. And I still don't understand how they lifted the pieces in place. It's impressive. Molly, however, wasn't impressed.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails