03 March 2010

My Bucket List and the Olympics

Do you have a Bucket List?
You know, those things you want to do while you still can. I've always had a list but didn't know what to call it until the movie by the same name was released.
One of the things on my list was to attend an Olympics.
I didn't really care if it was the summer or winter games, except that I don't do well in extreme heat unless I'm on a sandy beach on an island in the tropics. And since I doubt the summer Olympics will ever be held on a sunny island beach in the tropics, the winter games were my best bet.
Well, a week ago last Sunday, as I was mentioning again how much I loved the Olympics, Randy looked at me and said, "well, why don't we go?"
Sometimes, he kids around but he didn't look like it this time. And he certainly didn't need to ask twice!
We started checking hotels and venues the next morning. Wow, hotels near the downtown Vancouver area were running for $600+ a night. We did find one place pretty close in for $199/night but the reviews weren't very good...in fact, they were really, really bad. I don't even want to write about what people were finding upon check-in. Bad. Really bad.
So, we booked a room at a hotel back near the US border. It would mean a 45-minute train ride into downtown Vancouver but I was okay with that - because I was going to the Olympics!
Our friend Dan went along. He's always ready for an adventure and loves the Olympics, too. We left Wednesday at noon and overnighted in Bellingham. We were up bright and early, and through the US/Canada border crossing at Blaine by 7am.
After a stop for breakfast, we found the train station, parked the car, got on the train and headed for the Olympics. I don't think I'd stopped smiling since we pulled out of the driveway back in our Vancouver. Randy knew he was earning big brownie points this time!
As we got off the train at the Granville Street station, Dan and I went in search of the famous red mittens at The Bay Company store. And yes, of course, they were sold out; at $10 a pair, they were the cheapest souvenir available!
Randy went outside to figure out where we were.
These are some of the volunteers (note the Olympic rings on their coats) who helped tourists find their way around town. They were all over and they were very helpful for those of us who didn't know where we were going.
And then we were off!
Off to enjoy the Olympics!

Randy and Dan led the way toward our first stop - the Olympic Cauldron. Oh man!

And yes, I did make them stop for pictures about every 100 feet. They were good sports about it - they knew they'd never be able to contain my enthusiasm!

We're definitely headed in the right direction!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails