04 May 2009

Touring the Cedar Creek Grist Mill

A couple weeks back, while Randy’s folks were still visiting, we took them out to see the Cedar Creek Grist Mill. Randy and I have talked of going there for several years – usually when his folks are here because they grind their own wheat – but we’ve just never made it out there.
While at the Farmer’s Market, his folks met and talked with a gentleman who encouraged them to visit the Grist Mill. So we did. It was a great trip that made for great pictures. First, a bit of background about the Grist Mill taken from a brochure I picked up while there: “The Cedar Creek Grist Mill rests on a steep and rocky slope at the bottom of a narrow gorge. It is the only grain grinding mill in Washington that has maintained its original structural integrity, grinds with stones, and is water-powered. George Woodham and his two sons built the water-powered mill in 1876. Families throughout north Clark County brought their grain to the mill to be ground into flour or livestock feed. Today, the Cedar Creek Grist Mill is a working museum, staffed by volunteers who show visitors the inside workings of a grist mill from that time period, and they demonstrate how to grind wheat and corn. A covered bridge spanning Cedar Creek was completed in 1994, and continues to draw visitors from all over the United States. Jean took a sample of ground corn flour to try in cornbread while I picked up some ground hard red wheat flour. Since we've run out of caramel rolls that Jean made while she was here...
Maybe I should try my hand at making some although I'm not the best baker and I've never even tried to make caramel rolls - I have a mother-in-law who's a pro at them; I can't compete! Honestly, I have no idea where all those rolls went but, Jean, we're out. Could you FedX us some?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails