28 April 2009

Note to self...

If you ever get the urge to make another stack and whack quilt, run fast and far away.

If that doesn't work, remember these things:

1. Don't think that you can start this quilt, then take it down and store it for 3 years with the assumption you'll have all the pieces when you're ready to start on it again.

2. Remember sewing through your fingernail and having to manually back the needle out of your finger and nail? That's only happened once in your lifetime and it was while manhandling this quilt.

3. Don't ever, ever, ever attempt this type of quilt again using a dark fabric...even if the dark fabric really made for beautiful blocks, and you saw one done in that fabric in the One-Block Wonders quilt book.

4. You need really good light when you're placing the blocks on your design wall; otherwise, you tend to mix-match the various halves. And that leads to the final point:

5. Make sure you have a good seam ripper nearby. Trust me, you're going to need it.

I'm at the point where I just want this quilt top done. Ever feel that way?Final note to self: This is an old picture. I've actually only got 3 vertical seams left, then will trim the top and bottom edges even before adding some type of border - I actually did buy enough of this fabric to use in a border. Overall, it's pretty neat in person and I guess I'm happy I tackled it. Still, I'm glad it's almost finished...and I don't think I'll be doing another anytime soon!

2 comments:

Kim W said...

Did you really sew you nail? You didn't hit your finger? Tell me more tonight!

Sue Anderson said...

Yup, clean through the nail and the very tip on my nail. Didn't really hurt until the next day when it was sore.

It kinda gives new meaning to being one with your quilt!

Related Posts with Thumbnails