19 July 2010

Flowers, Flowers, Flowers

I do love flowers. And it seems my favorite flower changes each time a new blossom appears. I absolutely love peonies. No doubt about it. However, they're pretty short-lived here in the PNW. The rain turns my beautiful light pink peony rusty before the powdery mildew sets in. But for the first few days...man, I love that flower. When we go perennial shopping in the early spring, we always pick up some African Daisies. The colors are so wonderful and as long as I remember to deadhead regularly, their little bright faces bloom up at me throughout the summer. This purple variety is one we pick up each year. But we also saw the yellow ones with the purple centers this year...and they were just too lovely to pass up. And of course, when the clematis is blooming, well, there's nothing quite like it. The shower of flowers that cover the vine are spectacular. Most of our clematis blooms in the April-May timeframe because it gets the early spring sun. However, we have two vines that are pretty shaded until June when they start growing. As luck would have it, one of them is also blooming now: Anyone who grows clematis knows that it likes its feet in the cool shadows but its head in the sun.We've struggled with that over the years but really did get it right with this particular plant. It's beautiful...and, of course, one of my favorite flowers! I was in flower heaven! Then, our daylilies started blooming. And while some daylilies are okay, we have one variety that is simply stunning. Well, it's stunning to me. The colors remind me of a tropical sunset. And since I LOVE the tropics, this becomes my favorite flower. I marvel at how frilly the petals are - as if the dramatic color wasn't enough, it has to have frilly petals, too! And the Asiatic lilies are blooming now.The coloring certainly isn't as dramatic as the daylilies but the smell...oh mama, the smell! One blossom is fragrant enough to fill a room.I know because I cut one blossom and put it on our dining room table. And I can smell that one bloom in the kitchen. It's amazing. Another plant I get every year is an Angel's Trumpet. The first time I saw this plant was in Costa Rica many years ago. There, it grows to a tree size. All I could do was stare at it. The blossoms were out-of-this-world incredible to me. And I swore I would have one if I could find them here. Well, I've had several since then but have never managed to over-winter one successfully. It may because I keep it in a pot. I suspect it would do better planted in the ground near the house. But I need to have it close to me so I can stare at the blossoms. That picture isn't the best...the sun was on the wrong side. This picture is better. Is that not gorgeous? It is my favorite flower today...and probably tomorrow and the next day, too. I love the name, I love the shape, I love the color, I love that it reminds me of a wonderful vacation with Randy and some great friends. And I love that it makes me think of my parents and brother every time I look at those blossoms. Because for me, Dennis, Mom and Dad are my angels and I like to think that these are what their heavenly trumpets look like. Gotta run...I think I hear a trumpet!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails