15 December 2009

Well, kind of a plan...and progress!

Once the wallpaper was removed and the entire room painted (Randy even sprayed the ceiling!), it was time to decide what to change. Lights, for sure. I really needed more light. Painting the walls a lighter color certainly helped and moving the table from in front of the window allowed more light in there but still....I needed more light.
One thing that I did decide was how I wanted the room arranged...or rearranged. While Randy didn't always agree, he did help me get things moved where I wanted them; even if it meant putting the large (and really heavy) cutting table in the middle of the room (and right under the main light).
And it was about that time that he suggested adding shelving above my sewing table. While I liked the idea, I really didn't want to buy new shelving. Hmmm...there was that cabinet that used to hang above the kitchen island. We'd move it to the attic where it was now collecting dust. We brought it down, removed the back doors so it would sit flush against the wall and decided it was a keeper! It was also his idea to add puck lighting to the underside - oh man, more light!
Then we started looking at the ceiling and talking about placement of canned lights. I really wanted 2 lights that shined down on the large spave where I wanted my design wall to be. And we needed a light near the window because while there is light coming in during the morning hours, light gets pretty dim by mid-afternoon since the window is on the east side of the house. The ironing board was going there so if you wanted to ensure all the wrinkles were out, we really needed a light there. And finally, we decided to add a 4th can to light the bookshelves where I store my fabric.
The next step was to ensure that there wasn't anything in the attic that would prevent us from placing the lights there. And luckily, there wasn't! So, it was off to Lowes to select and buy lights. Once Randy has a project, he moves ahead full throttle. My sisters are a bit jealous about that!
So, by the end of the day, I not only had the cabinet mounted above my sewing table, but there were 6 puck lights mounted under the cabinet...
...and 4 new can lights in the ceiling.
It was truly a sight to behold! Here's a little video I put together...

Up to this point, I was still thinking that I'd simply tack up my over-sized piece of batting to make a design wall. But now that the room was looking so nice, Randy offered to build me a design wall. I know, I know...how in the world did I get such a nice guy?
First, we measured the actual wall and decided on the frame size for the design wall. Then, he was off to the garage. I checked periodically...
And finally it was time to bring it into the house and staple the batting to the frame.
Then, up it went...and it is beautiful!
Next up...The Reveal!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails