14 December 2009

Debbie Mumm's Studio (what a treat!)

Before we headed to Spokane for Thanksgiving, I sent an email to Debbie Mumm...well, to her through her website. I didn't expect Debbie Mumm would actually be answering her own email.
Debbie Mumm, in case you don't live on this planet (or just don't quilt), is pretty well known in the quilting / home dec world.
Here's a link to her web site: http://www.debbiemumm.com/
I received an email back the following day from Lori Scott. She's Debbie's Administrative Assistant. Here's a picture of Lori. She met us at the door and showed us through the entire studio.
She said I certainly could come for a tour of Debbie's studio and gave me the days and hours that the studio would be open during Thanksgiving week.
I invited Randy's Aunt Jean and his mother Jean along for the tour. For me, it was great fun. I really didn't expect that Debbie Mumm would actually be there.
I'm not sure why but I really didn't expect to meet her. But there she was...and she's as nice as can be.
Of course, I was so busy taking photos that I didn't get to talk with her other than to introduce myself and shake her hand. The Jeans talked with her.
Debbie explained the process she goes through when creating a new fabric line and how she works with the fabric manufacturer to make sure the colors and printing are correct.
Most often, she explained, it takes a few samples before it's perfect.
This artist is responsible for painting the drawings that are replicated in the fabrics. Amazing.
And, of course, there was a design area...complete with a wonderfully big design wall. I'm not including any of the pictures from there because the design team was in the midst of selecting fabrics and projects to include in 2 books that are scheduled for release next year. They'd already made samples and those samples were hanging on the design wall. Suffice it to say, they're wonderful and it'll be fun to see the books when they're published!
It goes without saying that there are quilts everywhere - even in the bathroom!
The lunch room also had touches of Debbie's handiwork everywhere.
What fun it was! If you're ever in Spokane, WA, make time and visit her studio. It's amazing that so much talent and productivity are housed in such a little studio!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails