19 August 2009

Carol's visit...and another island convert!

It's always fun to introduce people to the San Juan's. So when I had the chance to get my friend Carol here for a few days, I prodded her big-time. Carol works hard in her day job with Hospice. Those of us who have the privilege of working with/for her, understand how difficult her job is...and that she is exactly the type of person who needs to be in that job. She's compassionate, warm, friendly, understanding and can instantly pick up on your mood if you drop by her office.
I met Carol back in 2001...a short year after my brother Dennis died from a brain tumor. After his death, I was left with a need to help. I was torn between working with hospice or working in the cancer center at the hospital. And what it came down to was this: far fewer people volunteer for hospice because, let's face it, the people you're there to help are going to die...and soon. Sure, some people from the cancer center are going to die, too, but a majority are going to live - and the spirit there is a bit more upbeat. That's just not the case with hospice; hospice families are going to lose their loved one so the mood is pretty somber.
Those who knew me then, understand just how difficult Dennis' death was for me...and for everyone in my family. When I walked in the hospice office to sign up as a volunteer, Carol took me into her office and we visited. Everything went well until she asked what had brought me to hospice; then the tears started. I know now that it was too soon; I was still in the early stages of grief and the pain was terrible. An hour and many tears later, I knew I wanted to volunteer with her and signed up for training.
During that training, I met some great people. People who I consider dear friends. People who understand my need to help through hospice because it's also their need. I don't see these people often but the feeling I get when I do see them is unexplainable. We share loss. We share the grief of losing someone we loved. But we also share the joy of hospice. Carol gave us that.
And so, I really wanted to share the San Juan's with Carol. More than just about anyone I know, she deserves a vacation. She texted me from Anacortes after boarding the ferry to let me know she was on her way.
Charli and I were at the ferry terminal to meet her when the ferry docked. All the walk-on passengers came off, then the cars. Strange, but there was no Carol. I was about to ask the operator if he could page her when I saw her. Seems she was busy taking pictures and visiting and ... wasn't paying much attention to the announcement that the ferry was arriving at Shaw.
During her stay, we walked, we talked, we drank many glasses of wine and of course, I took the obligatory picture of her on the deck.
Then I took another picture...this time Bear and Hondo joined in on the fun.And another...One day we hopped the inter-island ferry and did a bit of shopping in Friday Harbor. One of the things I love about the inter-island ferry is that there are jigsaw puzzles scattered on some of the tables. We found one and started in. Here's Carol working away! Please notice that we didn't have a box cover to work from...
Compared to Shaw, Friday Harbor is very busy.
I showed Carol some of my favorite shops and we had lunch at a restaurant deck that overlooked the bay - it was a beautiful day that ended too quickly.
Her stay here ended too quickly, too. But I can tell you that I have another convert to the San Juan way of life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On earth of purchasing real estate, you should know what you will be performing so that you will don't get taken to get a drive. That is certainly where a lot of study on real estate buying process is useful. Follow these suggestions to help you get quite a lot when choosing real-estate as well as avoid frauds. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Obse8ighve[/url]

Related Posts with Thumbnails