09 February 2010

Union Square: a new quilt

Like most quilters I know, I always have more than one project going at any time. So, after selecting, cutting and basting the pieces for the Midnight in the Tropics blocks, I decided I needed something to work on when I've only got a few minutes. I looked through the various kits I've bought over the years (but have yet to make) and pulled out this book and the associated fabrics: I've always wanted a red, white and blue quilt, and Union Square was exactly what I was looking for - it wasn't complicated and would go together fast! Here's what it will look like when finished, and the fabrics that came in the kit:I got all the strips cut last weekend and started sewing the uneven nine-patches right away.The background triangles that border the uneven nine-patch blocks are made from a creamy white solid. When I first saw that, I was skeptical. It seems a bit boring but that's what the picture shows so we'll see; regardless, the triangles are cut and ready. The red and white four-patches went together quickly, too.The half-square triangles are sewn on now but weren't when this picture was taken.
These are the four border fabrics. The inner border is the lightest red at the bottom of the pile, the blue star fabric is the second border, the light floral is the third border and the deep red is the outer border. It'll be bound in the blue star fabric.
So, the blocks are sewn and ready to assemble into rows. More pictures as that progresses!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails