16 September 2009

Meet Patsy...she's a Party Pig

I'd like you to meet Patsy. I got Patsy from a couple of Shaw friends who make and give felted and knitted pigs to their friends and also to people who are going through a rough stretch in their lives. The story of how the gifting began is great.
Ditti, while waiting for a plane, was reading a knitting magazine and came across an article about a woman who knit pigs. The pigs, according to the woman, made her laugh. Whenever she looked at them, she felt better - they were happy and they made her happy. So she started making them to give away...to spread the laughter.
Ditti said she laughed when she looked at the pigs, too, and decided she needed to start making pigs to give.
Before I continue, I need to back up a bit and tell you how the whole felted pig story came into my life.
Early on during our stay on Shaw this summer, Ruth and Ross invited us to join some other Shaw Island friends for dinner. The invitation was intriguing..."Jan would be bringing her pig Big Red and might also be bringing her granddaughter Shauna. Ditti was bringing her new pig who was nice but certainly not the party animal Bubbles was."
Hmmm. Randy and I went back and forth. Were these miniature pigs...pot-bellied pigs...or something else?
When we got there, we found out. There was a row of felted/knitted pigs sitting on the counter, as well as Big Red sitting on the dining room table. It was a wonderful night with great friends...and their knitted pigs!
Later in the summer, Jan invited me to join she and Ditti for dinner. At Jan's house, I got to see the range of pigs she's knitted. In case you didn't guess, that's Big Red on the left.

Wow.

And Wow again. They are just precious. I fell in love with knitted pigs. Just before Ditti left, we had she and Jan over for dinner. Imagine my pleasure when Jan pulled Patsy out of her bag and handed her to me. Her name, Jan said, was Patsy. Patsy, the Party Pig. And I love her...she makes me laugh every time I look at her, and she brings back memories of good friends who happen to live on an island I love. We also had Ruth and Ross over for dinner at the end of our Shaw summer. They are absolutely delightful people who we saw on our walks around the Ben Nevis loop. Ruth brought a beautiful bouquet of lilies from her garden...the fragrance was magnificent! If you could only smell how wonderful they were.
Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails