13 September 2009

Baby Quilts for Parker's Mom & Grandma

My great-nephew Parker was born the first part of August. He's a cutie and looks a lot like his Mama did when she was a baby. Of course, I knew I'd be making his Mom (my niece Lauren) a baby quilt for him and decided to make one for my sister Janis (the new Grandma) to use when Parker visited their house. I was a bit late getting started on the quilts...then summer came and well, I was a bit later getting them finished. But, since they have flannel backings, I figured Parker wouldn't be using them for a few months anyway. I sent both quilts off on this last Tuesday and Janis called Friday to say they'd arrived...and she loved them both. I'd left it to her to decide which one she wanted to keep and which Lauren would get.
I'd originally started out making the Sleeping Baby/Crying Baby one for her...
But once I found the seashore panel and finished the top, it became my favorite.
I still really like the bright colors of the other Crying/Sleeping Baby quilt and love the babies but there was something about the blocks on that seashore one that really did me in. And I figured since I lived on the coast (well, close to the coast), it was a perfect quilt from me. I also found a ocean-themed background that fit perfectly...unfortunately, I didn't buy quite enough fabric. I hadn't made the quilt yet when I found the backing, so I guessed at how much I would need. I was slightly off. I simply added a plaid strip in the same bright colors to each side.
I hope both quilts are loved and used for years to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the name of the fabric panel of children at the beach. It is adorable.

Sue Anderson said...

The panel is Friendship by the Sea by Mary Stewart for Elizabeth's Studio. You can still buy the panel on EQuilter.com.

I love this panel and plan to order another couple of panels myself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails