19 May 2010

Flowers from the garden

I have no idea where the last two weeks have gone. It certainly doesn't seem like I've accomplished much during that time. I did finish a quilt top and have another cut out and partially sewed, and I've taken some Red Cross classes online and at the Southwest Washington offices, and I've done some housework (not enough!), and then there's the gardening. Okay, so I guess I know where all the time has gone. But the results sure are pretty.
Costco had flats of 6, 1 gallon pots of Gerbera daisies. Man, I love Gerbera daisies. I tried, without success, to grow them at the other house. They died.Pretty much as soon as they went into the ground. I think I babied them too much.But they love it here at this house. It's hot. Really hot in the backyard. They get full sun from 10am until 5pm. Hot sun. These started with 3 blooms each when I put them in the beds two weeks ago. They now have 6-7 blooms each. And man, are they beautiful. It's like having a bit of the tropics in my backyard. I posted pictures of the yellow iris a while back. Now that the yellow iris are about done blooming, the purple iris have kicked in. Finally. Randy was getting tired of all the yellow iris. And I have to show you the pot of tulips my in-laws brought me from the Woodburn Tulip fields. Wow, are they gorgeous!I had the pot sitting on the patio table for over three weeks and the blooms were beautiful that whole time.This picture was taken toward the end of that three weeks. Most are still in great shape - which is amazing for a tulip that was sitting in the rain.

The yard - well, the backyard anyway - is looking good. With all the April rain and now the May sunshine and warmth, things are kicking into high growing gear. Even the fish are hungry - do you suppose those bubbles are his way of saying "Get me some food!"?

A goldfish with a mouth this big is a scary thing.

1 comment:

Katlin said...

Fabulous photos. I've got to get a new camera!

Related Posts with Thumbnails